This Old Town

The town is old and the air is old. It smells like worn wood and chimney dust mixed with grass and roses. I sniff it all in as I walk down the street in front of the old lamp posts and the old beautiful bank building; marbled, pink, cloudy evening skies above the marble carved buildings. Young people in the old town gather around the gazebo and dance the night away. The air is mixing now into a splendid concoction of youth and age. Voices of wise and unwise, loved and not yet loved, jaded and not yet bruised- sound out the crowd and make for an ambient pulsing energy. It is a luscious world we live in where the two sides of life can come together at any moment with the sound of music. That is why I tap my feet and bounce through life. I call out to the connection, to the fuse that is lit with a few notes and a beat. This old town has a beat like a heart, faster with activity and a slow calm pulse with the quiet. It is alive in a funny kind of way, and music makes it so.

(Uptown Whittier, CA)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

His Name Is Time

Dating Advice to Myself After Going Through the Murky Pools of Dating in Los Angeles